Thursday, January 15, 2009

CIOS108 KD1 Orientation Quiz


Orientation Quiz

A. What is something that is going well in your life?
My Marriage. Steven and I have been married for little over a year (June), but together for almost five years now. We've had our ups and downs, but going beautifully. He's my best friend.

B. What are your specific goals for this class?
I had begun working on a degree in Drafting/Graphic Design years ago at another college, but my classes were mostly general ed and the start of drafting. I had wanted to pursue Graphic Arts for a few years. I had always had the knack for art in general and love playing around with the computer and photo apps. I would just like to learn more about Graphic Design.

C. What was your first experience with design, computers and
imaging technology like?
Pretty amateur, but fun. Time consuming, but became an obsession. My experience was mostly with photos. My family is always investigating my digital images, because I've been known to "photo chop" heads of one person to another photo if they were not smiling or the whole person.

D. Do you usually work on a Mac or a PC and why?
PC. I haven't had too much experience on a Mac. My husband buys PCs and that's all I've had in work environments.

E. What is your experience level with any of the other image editing
or vector programs available?
Like I said, pretty amateur, but leave me alone with it long enough and I'll figure it out and accomplish what I'm trying to get out of it.

F. What is something you liked about your day today?
Waking up, looking out the window while it is still dark out, and seeing a seine boat brightly lit going by. Text messaging my friend who is diving onboard that boat to say hi.

G. How do you plan to use what you learn in this class?
I have a book I published pretty amateurly as well. I'd love to apply what I learn to being able to do something like this more professionally.

H. What would make this class go very well for you?
Well, seeing as this is my first distance class of this type, I guess by my emails so far... definitely communication. It has been interesting trying to learn the ins and outs of the UAS systems online.

I. How do you plan to make this class go very well for you?
I hope to stay up on assignments and make the most out of understanding what is being taught. Again... communication.

J. What do you do for creativity on an on‐going basis?
I am always drawing with my kids, decorative painting, photography, scrapbooking, playing with photos on the computer to share with family or to put on internet sites such as Myspace.

K. Who is Milton Glaser? Paul Bass?
Milton Glaser is a graphic designer, best known for the "I love New York" logo, his "Bob Dylan" poster, the "DC bullet" logo used by DC Comics from 1977 to 2005, and the "Brooklyn Brewery" logo. He also founded New York Magazine with Clay Felker in 1968. Wikipedia
I noticed you had a Saul Bass in your blog sample template and a Paul Bass in this question. When I google Paul Bass, I am not getting much results in the search. This little exerpt mentioned both names:
Saul Bass graphic designerAfter apprenticships with Manhatten design films bass worked as a free lance grahpic designer or commercial artist as they were called chafing at the contrast imposed on him in new york he moved to L A in 1946 freelancing for four years and he opened his own studio in 1950 he was mostly working in advertising till Preminger invited him to design a poster for his 1954 movie Carmon Jones he designed commission for two 1955 movies the man with the golden arm established him as as god of film title design the next ten years made his way by creating animated mini movies assisted by his second wife Elaine Bass created brilliant titles for other directors from alley cat to walk on the wild side in 1961 Bass retired from commercial graphic design in 1974 devising successful corperate identities for united airlines minolta bell telephone system and warner communications paul bass was a cinema legend he won three oscars 1958 forged a new collaboration with Alfred Hitchcock by designing a title for" vertigo " works with buff straub and hensman on design of his home

L. Do you own or have access to a color image scanner?
yes I do. HP Photosmart All-in-one

M. What software application will you be using for the course?
I have a few different software for photos and use different ones for different features: HP photosmart premier, Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, and Corel Photo Album 6. I will most likely use the Photoshop.

No comments:

Post a Comment