Thursday, February 14, 2013

For Katherine and the family of Richard Twiss

Dr. Richard Twiss was well-known as a Native American educator and author, Christian minister and public speaker, and Co-Founder and President of Wiconi International.  He was an amazing man, world-renown. God truly worked wonders through Richard and his works were not only impressive, but appreciated by many as he touched many lives in his travels. I was honored and proud to call him my friend. 
I first heard of Richard when my husband and I went to listen to him speak at the Living Hope Church in Vancouver, Washington (I believe that was the Fall of 2006). I was just in awe of his talent for speaking out to people and hoped that my people back home in Alaska could experience it.
Richard made everyone he met, feel loved and our Native communities in Metlakatla and Ketchikan, Alaska were blessed to have received a wonderful person such as he.  We had hoped to have another gathering with him up here and spoke of it with Richard when we saw him last (Fall 2011). 
 Doug Yates made this gathering we had in Alaska possible and through this gathering, my husband and I got to personally meet and know Richard and other great men. It was the start of a beloved friendship that would also lead us to having met you in your home, too.
Meeting you was incredible for getting to see the lady Richard spoke so highly of.  I don't remember much of any conversations that didn't include his love for you.  "Behind every great man there's a great woman" sincerely does apply here.
I truly appreciated his "Big Brother" type character in his replies when I would express my concerns to him.  To take personal time for others when he was a busy man, speaks highly of his integrity.  I couldn't thank him or God enough for the blessings on my marriage that Richard offered.  The first, during our gathering in Metlakatla.
It was with a heavy heart that we learned of his passing and we send you and your family our deepest condolences. Richard Twiss will indeed never be forgotten and will be truly missed and loved by many.  That includes my husband and myself.

*I took this picture of Richard Twiss when we last met him, Fall 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment