Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Project 2A: Expressive Type and Design

Now that was just plain interesting and not as easy as I thought it would be.
I started on my laptop and ended up moving to my Mother-in-law's computer to use her printer so I could print, cut-out, and scan text. However, I had more luck with her Photoshop on her computer than with my own. So I didn't have to go through the effort of printing or scanning. I was able to do this all within the computer. I saved it and sent it to my own email and was able to manipulate it more using my laptop that I am more comfortable with.

I am so thankful to have gotten my book assignment in early, because I would have been cramming at this point due to the unexpected events that have happened in my home-life. I had fun doing this with the computer, but this amount took quite some time. It sure sounded easier than it was.

Even though I knew the basic meaning of each word, I still looked up the definitions online to be sure I was using the right idea of how to apply the text I felt would best fit the word. There were a few words that had more meaning than one such as "Stodgy" had both the definition of being heavy or very old-fashioned and "crush" could mean to crush an item or have a crush on another person. So I chose the basic meaning most people are familiar with.
I think this typeface does the best job of supporting the word "Sludge" for what fonts I had available. I would have liked something more expressive for "Ornate". I manipulated the "sludge" type by using tools like the move tool, smudge tool, and brush tool in Photoshop. The other words only required using the move tool to widen or squash down as well as arching it.
The type I used for "Sludge" gave a pretty good idea of the meaning of the word to start with then I added a lot of black to make it appear to be a murky hole of ooze and dripping. This style of type really made it easy to create the effect I was hoping for in the composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment